Boku dake ga Inai Machi

• Overlord

Let's dedicate this first thread to the best series of the 2016 Winter season.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi

The town where only I'm missing or just ERASED as some are calling this show.

0_1454414088221_erased.jpg

Fujinuma Satoru has this ability to envision accidents moments before they happen allowing him to often change the outcome. One day though, due to an extremely shocking experience he's send back 18 years to his elementary school days. He remembers the events of that time when his classmate was murdered. Not understanding how he ended up in his past self he takes the opportunity and decides to change the sad events of that time.

After 4 episodes I can easily conclude this anime outclasses everything in the past 2 seasons. Every episode keeps you glued to the screen wanting for more. What are your thoughts?

• At first I didn't like the transition from adult Satoru to him being a child again, but watching onward one sees that internally he's still an adult, reminiscent of the condition of a character in the anime Detective Conan. While both anime draw on mysteries and murder, Boku dake ga is somewhat more serious in tone but one also finds some lighthearted moments. To me the characters are very likable and I can't help but to feel for their struggle.

• It got me thinking whether a child can really help another in such a situation. Then again, Satoru's teacher tried doing things in an adult manner, carefully observing, contacting child services ... Still, Kayo couldn't be saved. Kind of illustrates adults can be powerless as well. Satoru being close to the victim probably has better chances of saving her than many adults nearby do. He basically did everything he could in his shoes, save for the few missteps that for now seem harmless.

Seriously, what does winning a speed skating race have to do with anything? If Kayo dies again, another time leap is certainly in order. Then we'll get to see how they tie those together. Also, what's up with Kayo calling him out as a mangaka?

• @cytherino Winning the race would change how that other kid was angry at Satoru and perhaps result in getting closer to Hinazuki in a shorter amount of time. Repeating the same mistakes just makes him repeat history.

As for her calling him a mangaka... dunno really. As an adult he's a struggling mangaka, if I recall correctly. I don't remember him showing any thing manga related to Kayo but maybe they did talk about it in the montage scenes? :P

• @Sei-tan About that, it got me thinking maybe she doesn't know that Satoru becomes a mangaka. Maybe he became one because she said those words there and then. Why she said them, I wouldn't know.

• So far into the story I'm increasingly interested into all the time paradoxes and time continuum problems this could potentially have for the main character and his future. So I opted to think of this as a parallel universes time and space skipping. No matter what changes, he still remembers his universe and his time as he left it, but continues to live in the new one he created.

• We're back to the future, boys. :hatching_chick:

Two interesting things to talk about:

• Nishinosono, the guy with the flower pin that visited the pizza place, referred to himself as "boku" instead of standard "ore" or "watashi". Has the story introduced any characters speaking that way?
    • This has bothered me for a while, but Kayo's mom and her partner both have blonde hair and red eyes. Eye color is one thing that should never be underestimated in anime mysteries. Somehow it's almost always important. Could it be that they are blood-related?

I'm still not sure whether Kayo's mom is the culprit, even with the body and all, but what kind of mother is glad to get rid of her kid's belongings? At the very least we know now Kayo's mom knows Kayo was beyond anyone's reach on March 3rd.

• I have another theory to throw against the wall (lots of speculation, you have been warned!):

Anyway, a very good episode. We're probably jumping back in past with the next one.

• Overlord

Considering how mysteries usually work the real culprit had definitely already been introduced. And by simple elimination it's possible to conclude that the killer is the teacher Yashiro.

Who else is there:

Shiratori Jun - antisocial geek, was probably an outcast in his school days. His working hours allow him to spend the afternoons lazying around. Like every normal human being he craves social interaction but is only able to warm up to people similar to him. He might have weird fetishes but his justice sense is on point and his wimpy nature would never permit him to hurt a human being.

The pizza place owner - that guy has a schoolgirl fetish and wants Airi to like him but gets jealous because his fantasies don't work out. Other than that he's a total wimp and couldn't hurt a fly but I wouldn't trust him to not rat on people.

We can exclude all kids and all female characters and there's nobody else left.

On the other hand Yashiro just seems too perfect. Of the possible suspects he's also the only one being able to acquire a high social standing. What I can't figure out though is his motive. What does he gain by abducting and murdering children? Is he simply a broken soul who gets a kick out of it? In which case it's weird that he gets quiet for 18 years after the 3 murders.

Also, why the hell is he near Satoru 18 years later on the other side of the country? As we know the past story is happening in Hokkaido and the present Satoru is in Tokyo. When Sachiko (mom) comes to visit, she goes shopping with Satoru and outside the mall she sees the culprit attempting an abduction. The culprit also recognizes her so he comes to stab her later.

Had Yashiro really been trailing Satoru for the past 18 years? Keeping tabs on him, not attempting anything? Why?

• @Akazukin said:

On the other hand Yashiro just seems too perfect. Of the possible suspects he's also the only one being able to acquire a high social standing. What I can't figure out though is his motive. What does he gain by abducting and murdering children? Is he simply a broken soul who gets a kick out of it? In which case it's weird that he gets quiet for 18 years after the 3 murders.

I feel like Yashiro could turn out to have a double personality. This episode again had him dropping down his voice to match Nishizono's. I'm pretty certain Nishizono is Yashiro at this point. Why do I think he has a double personality? Because Nishizono refers to himself as a boku and Yashiro, while at the beginning referring to himself as an ore in one scene refers to himself as boku. It's strange to use these two interchangeably.

Also the book Kenya mentions, The Switched Man, doesn't exist. But I feel like it might be a reference to both Yashiro and Satoru.

• Overlord

Nishizono refers to himself as a boku and Yashiro, while at the beginning referring to himself as an ore in one scene refers to himself as boku. It's strange to use these two interchangeably.

Actually it depends a lot on the social standings between the speakers. I can't remember the scenes so I won't make any conclusions but generally speaking it's not strange.

I'll be very surprised if Yashiro turns out to be innocent. But I really want to know what the hell he was up to for 18 years. Somehow my gut is telling me that the anime will disappoint in this regard as the focus seems to be primarily on the kids.

• Well, Nishizono used boku consistently, for example when he was talking to the pizza place guy. I believe you use boku if you are in lower standing to the speaker. Yashiro used it while calling Satoru's mom and it was only one instance of him referring to himself like that. So I don't know. I mean I'm 99% Nishizono is supposed to be Yashiro. But I'm not sure if Nishizono/Yashiro murdered Satoru's mom.

One more thing ... Do you remember Kenya how he said he's been keeping an eye on Satoru during the last couple of days? Maybe he extended that over the course of the next 18 years! And the way he was saying "that's the Satoru I like" is kind of creepy.

• Overlord

Kenya's an 11 year old, pretty sure he doesn't have any vile tendencies. I think he was sincerely concerned for Kayo. He even shows some jealousy of Satoru for being able to do what he himself couldn't.

If you put yourself into his shoes, wouldn't you notice the glaring difference in Satoru's behavior? Pretty sure the book refers solely to Satoru.

• @masariko said:

So far into the story I'm increasingly interested into all the time paradoxes and time continuum problems this could potentially have for the main character and his future. So I opted to think of this as a parallel universes time and space skipping. No matter what changes, he still remembers his universe and his time as he left it, but continues to live in the new one he created.

... I last watched this 25 days ago. Ok. Lemme get back to y'all when I'm all caught up :-/

• Overlord

Candy to get over his smoking addiction huh? I've seen pigs flying before.

• Jesus, what a way to make it even more obvious. This mystery suffers from lack of suspects. There's Yuuki and Yashiro. The off chance Yuuki commited murders is remote. Right now too many signs point to Yashiro.

Was the shovel attack necessary? Too over the top for my taste. And Kayo's mom breaking down and her mother being there to console her was just cringe.

• So, uh, I'm afraid this wasn't your typical solve-the-mystery type of show. It involves a mystery, yes, but the way it was laid out makes me think it was supposed to be a brainless affair. You'd get the full experience if and only if you let yourself be duped, just like Satoru was. Too much thinking on our part and we ruin it for ourselves. So not a good mystery, but probably a nice thriller for the people who took it easy.

• Overlord

Indeed, wasn't much of a mystery. There's still the ending to be made. Let's hope it'll be awesome so we can easily put this series into our top charts. :)

Here, have a nice ending remix

• I was hoping the anime was giving us some false leads, but ... Nope, Chuck Testa. I do however wish to see how, if the whole case get solved, this will fare out for all parties.

• Overlord

I loved the wrap up. Can't remember an anime ever closing that well. I'm thinking of buying the BDs when I go to Japan.

Looks like your connection to Akazukin.moe was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.